Monday, May 16, 2011

My daddy

Last night, my dad made me cry. But this time the tears weren't sad tears. My dad made me happy.

I can't remember the last time a person surprised me in such a good way.

It hasn't really been a secret over the 4 1/2 years, that my dad is NOT a fan of Jimmi's. As much as I tried to get him to see past the tattooed and piercings, he just couldn't do it. Family gatherings were hard for me. I would see Jimmi try so hard to talk to my dad and joke with him to no avail. I would get angry and so hurt. I couldn't understand why everyone in my life could see how amazing Jimmi is, but the other most important man in my life chose not to give him a chance.

But last night changed everything.

I was on the phone with my dad and he said, "I think I made a mistake. Jimmi is more of a man than I thought. And the next time I see him, I'm gonna tell him."

Silent tears fell from my eyes.

I don't know what did it. Maybe it's because he read my blog, or maybe it's because my dad has been around Jimmi a lot more in the last few weeks because of my situation. Maybe there's a reason I have cancer. Maybe my illness is meant to bring the most important men in my life together. Whatever the reason was for his sudden change of attitude, it makes my heart truly happy.

3 comments:

  1. That's wonderful Suzanne. Now I'm praying for a full recovery and a long, happy life for you and my favorite drummer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the best "growth" in my life has come from acceptance, and understanding. I have gained SOOO much emotional and spiritual growth, when I close my eyes to prejudice, and ignorance. I am continually thankful for the gifts of learning...my greatest teacher has been my best friend Leah.

    I am touched by your father, and am so happy for HIS gains. I also feel gratitude for Jimmi and the continued ability of those around to see who he really is...not what he looks like. I have had the opportunity to know Jimmi Kane, and I smile every time I think about you guys.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so great!
    jimmi is a great guy. charity went thru the same thing with me and her dad, he hated me for about 6 years...then something snapped and things are good. appearance is worthless. its what the person is, what they stand for and how they care for others. jimmi would do anything for anyone, care for his friends and family so so much. i feel honored to be firends with him...and you(i guess ;) jk.)
    all the best to you both, you know where we are if you need anything!

    <3 to you both. and your dad :)

    ReplyDelete